5. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS – It seems a simple enough idea, something mothers tell their children from a young age. It’s good advice. So many of our tensions and problems can be cured if each of us would just do this. We’re all so worried about what everyone else is doing. I don’t understand why. I have enough of my own shit to worry about without adding everyone else’s life on top of it. “Stop those gay people from being gay!” “How can you believe in an invisible puppeteer in the sky? Stop with your religion!” “Why don’t YOU believe in God? Don’t you know you’re going to hell?” “Believe in our god and cover up your women or we’ll blow up your children on a bus.” Every single one of these issues of tension could be solved with simply minding your own business. Live and let live. Or as Jesus would say, “let he who is without sin…” okay, you get the idea – shut up, mind your own business.
- HAVE SOME EMPATHY – Now, while we aren’t concerning ourselves with what everyone is doing, we should give some thought to how others are feeling. If we are aware of and take into consideration the feelings, needs and perspectives of those around us with whom we must share this goofy world, we would all get along better, would all be better off, and would in turn also be happier.
- REALIZE EVERYTHING HAS A COST AND LIVE ACCORDINGLY – Ain’t nothin’ in life is free kid. That’s true of everything. Nothing comes without a cost. Driving is convenient but adds to our pollution, dependence on oil, and the widening of our collective ass. Driving a BMW is nice but working overtime to pay for a brand new one can strain the family, robs you of free time, and adds to stress when a used Honda gets you where you’re going just as well. Not having a car at all means it’s going to take you longer to get where you’re going. Give and take. Always a price. Cars and driving is just one example, but it applies to everything. (And 0% down means you may have possession of it, but you don’t own shit)
- DON’T WORRY WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK – In the immortal words of wisdom from that sage poet of modern philosophy Taylor Swift, “Haters gonna hate hate, hate. Shake it off.” Be yourself, follow your own path, be kind to others and respect their journey while following your own and you will be happier than if you give the critics residence in your mind, heart, and soul.
- LIGHTEN THE FUCK UP ALREADY!!!!! – We have all seemed to have lost our sense of humor – about ourselves, about others, about life in general. We’re all so worried of being offended and we’ve become so protective of our stance, our feelings, our beliefs that we have lost sight of any sense of joy. Relax. Getting upset doesn’t fix anything. Smile, laugh, and be able to laugh at yourself – mistakes and all. If we each did that, life would be so much more pleasant for us all. So smile, it’s not that bad, it’s just life and it’s short, enjoy it.
HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ ‘OH BROTHER, HERE WE GO AGAIN’ IN 2014.
MAY YOU HAVE A HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS 2015… AND ONE FULL OF SMILES.
And don’t forget to grab a copy of In The Sanctity of Revenge before the year’s over!!!
Love it, especially no. 1. Being offended seems to be a profession for some. Very wise words, as per usual, Brian.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you Maureen. Happy New Year!